Saturday, June 14, 2008

How I joined VANITIES


So I should give some background on VANITIES. In April of last year, a little after my production of GREASE had opened at Westchester, I had read an article about Judith Ivey signing on to direct VANITIES. Now I had met and worked with Judy in FOLLIES in 2001 and we became fast friends during that show. We had kept in touch and gotten together whenever we could over the years, which wasn’t very much, but we remained in contact nonetheless. I decided to email her and ask her if she needed an associate director for the project. I figured I needed to learn more about the process and what better way to do it than to jump on board a Broadway-bound musical? She immediately answered by saying that not only did she want me on board, but that she was about to ask me be her associate…how’s that for synchronicity? We are both Virgos, after all…

Over the year there were a few readings involved, mostly for backers and the like, then there were cast changes and auditions and then a two-week workshop last month…and I’m so ready to get this show on its feet – as is everyone else. In fact, we just recorded a demo of some of the songs the other day and it was blissful to be with all these people once more – if that sounds naïve then so be it. It’s been a joyful process, and I am learning loads…

So - every now and then I’ll reach back and recount some moments of VANITIES casting sessions, production meetings, note sessions, and rehearsal instances and what I learned from them, or just offer my observations – so expect to see those dropped in from time to time. More later! Or sooner.

No comments: